Hermann Max Pechstein - Mutter mit zwei Kindern im Garten - image-1
Hermann Max Pechstein - Mutter mit zwei Kindern im Garten - image-2
Hermann Max Pechstein - Mutter mit zwei Kindern im Garten - image-1Hermann Max Pechstein - Mutter mit zwei Kindern im Garten - image-2

Lot 494 D

Hermann Max Pechstein - Mutter mit zwei Kindern im Garten

Auction 1110 - overview Cologne
01.06.2018, 17:00 - Modern Art
Estimate: 12.000 € - 15.000 €
Result: 13.020 € (incl. premium)

Hermann Max Pechstein

Mutter mit zwei Kindern im Garten

Pen and ink and colour chalk drawing on postcard. Verso: message to Charlotte Pechstein, dated '25. V. 17.' 14.2 x 9.1 cm Framed under glass (double sided). Monogrammed 'HMP' (joined) and dated '1917' in pencil upper right. - Slightly browned on recto. Remnants of a former mounting in the corners verso.

Pechstein made this drawing during a recreational trip to the Baltic Sea peninsula Darß-Zingst in May 1917. Just after his arrival, he wrote on the verso to his wife Charlotte: "My dear! Last night I had a guilty conscience that I should stay here to recuperate alone, and truly, if I hadn't become so weak, you probably wouldn't have tempted me out to the house. The journey went off according to plan, but I was much too apathetic to take notice of anything; around 5 o'clock in the afternoon, I arrived with the motorboat in Althagen, where the local Bodden (lagoon) lies just before the landing stage, I did not like being so far from the sea and the sound of the waves..." The Roman numbering "I.)" and the unfinished last sentence suggest that Pechstein's letter consisted of at least two parts.

Certificate

With a photo-certificate from Alexander Pechstein, Max Pechstein Urheberrechtsgemeinschaft, Dobersdorf, dated 11 April 2018

Provenance

Galerie Gerd Rosen, Berlin; Private collection, North Rhine-Westphalia; Private possession, Baden-Württemberg