Sigmar Polke - Untitled (Mönchengladbach 1987) - image-1

Lot 785 D

Sigmar Polke - Untitled (Mönchengladbach 1987)

Auction 1032 - overview Cologne
31.05.2014, 11:00 - Contemporary Art
Estimate: 40.000 € - 60.000 €
Result: 68.320 € (incl. premium)

Sigmar Polke

Untitled (Mönchengladbach 1987)

Halftone image: gouache on top of varnish on card. 100 x 70 cm. On the verso, signed and dated. Numbered 18/30. Edition Museumsverein Mönchengladbach (stamped verso). - Remnants of masking tape mounting on the verso.

The present work consists of an annual special edition of 30 unique works created by Sigmar Polke in 1987 for the Mönchengladbach Museums Association. The raster dots first appeared in Polke's oeuvre at the beginning of the 1960s, and have since become a type of trademark of his pictures. In 1966, in his unique, slightly bizarre way, the artist explained his relationship to this technique: 'I love all dots. I am married to many dots. I want all dots to be happy. The dots are my brothers. I am also a dot. We used to play together, today each one goes its separate way. Now we only meet at family celebrations and ask ourselves: how are you?' nen Wege. Wir treffen uns nur noch zu Familienfesten und fragen uns: wie geht's?“ (Sigmar Polke, quoted from: Götz Adriani (ed.), Polke, Eine Retrospektive, Die Sammlungen Frieder Burda, Josef Froehlich und Reiner Speck, exhib.cat. Museum Frieder Burda, Baden-Baden, Museum Moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig Wien, Ostfildern 2007, p.123)

Catalogue Raisonné

Becker/von der Osten 73

Certificate

We would like to thank the estate of Sigmar Polke, Cologne, for the helpful information.