Lot 822 D

Niki De Saint Phalle - L'Ange Vase

Auction 1022 - overview Cologne
27.11.2013, 00:00 - Contemporary Art - November 27, 2013
Estimate: 60.000 € - 80.000 €
Result: 61.000 € (incl. premium)

Niki De Saint Phalle

L'Ange Vase

Polyester resin and varnish, painted. height approx. 91 cm on metal plinth height 2.5 cm. Niki de Saint Phalle 31/50 Gérard Haligon (embossed stamp)

Polyester resin and varnish, painted, height approx. 91 cm, on metal plinth height 2,5 cm, with partially painted ceramic element in vase arm. Vase arm with signatur stamp on metal badge on the side "Niki de Saint Phalle" and numbered "31/50". Edition Gérard Haligon (embossed stamp in vase arm). - Minor traces of age.

This sculpture was produced in three colour variants with a numbered edition of 50 plus 10 EA each.

With accompanying certificate from the Niki Charitable Art Foundation, Santee, California.

Exhibition: Ulm 1999 (Museum), Ludwigshafen 2000 (Wilhelm-Hack-Museum), Niki de Saint Phalle, Liebe, Protest, Phantasie. exhib.cat., p.55 with col.ill. (ill. of another example)

“When I gave my first Nana exhibition, I called it 'Nana Power'. For me they symbolised a cheerful, liberated woman. Today, after nearly 20 years, I see them differently. I see them as harbingers of a new matriarchal era which, I believe, is the only answer. They represent an independent, good, altruistic and happy mother. I am not surprised therefore that they evoke such vehement emotions of love and hatred in people. Viewers are confronted with their own feelings towards their own mothers.” (Niki de Saint Phalle, in: Brigitte Reinhardt (ed.), Niki de Saint Phalle, Liebe, Protest, Phantasie, exhib.cat., Museum Ulm, Wilhelm-Hack-Museum, Ludwigshafen, 1999, p.50.)

Certificate

With accompanying certificate from the Niki Charitable Art Foundation, Santee, California.

Exhibitions

>>> Ulm 1999 (Museum), Ludwigshafen 2000 (Wilhelm-Hack-Museum), Niki de Saint Phalle, Liebe, Protest, Phantasie. exhib.cat., p.55 with col.ill. (ill. of another example)