Lot 865 D

Günther Uecker - Weisses Feld

Auction 1032 - overview Cologne
31.05.2014, 11:00 - Contemporary Art
Estimate: 200.000 € - 250.000 €
Result: 305.000 € (incl. premium)

Günther Uecker

Weisses Feld

Nails and acrylic on canvas on panel. 63 x 43 x 14.5 cm. Signed and titled 'WEISSES FELD Uecker' verso on panel with directional arrow.

Günther Uecker has taken an interest in Japanese Zen Buddhism since the early 1950s, and his works therefore visualise his attitude to life, both as an artist and as an individual. All his nailings are discussions of light, movement and white as an 'ideal' colour. They are consciously created by the artist in such a way that they can serve as an experience of consciousness which may culminate in white as a "state": "Using prefabricated elements such as nails, I built up several white structures which I consciously called objects, because they differed from a pictorial projection onto a canvas. I started by using strictly sequenced rhythms, mathematical sequences, which dissolved into a free rhythm… I then focused on achieving an integration of light that caused the white structures to oscillate under changes of lighting and which could be understood as freely articulated light space. I opted for a white zone as a culmination of colourfulness, as a climax of light and as a triumph over darkness. It is, I believe, a white world, a humane world, in which a person experiences their colourful existence and in which they can be alive. These white structures can be a spiritual language in which we begin to meditate. White, as a state, can be understood as prayer and, when it is articulated, can be a spiritual experience. (Günther Uecker, Der Zustand Weiss, in: Stephan von Wiese (ed.), Günther Uecker, Schriften, Gedichte, Projektbeschreibungen, Reflexionen, St. Gallen 1979, p.104.)

Certificate

Accompanied by a signed photo certificate by the artist.

Provenance

Galerie Eigen + Art, Berlin; private collection, South Germany