The Temple of Minerva in Rome
Oil on canvas. 120.5 x 105 cm.
Signed and dated lower right: C. Wuttke Mchn.1887.
After studying art at the Berlin Academy, Wuttke was first taught by Angelo II Quaglio in Munich and later by Eugen Dücker in Düsseldorf. In 1874, Wuttke travelled to Italy on foot, and this journey influenced his entire oeuvre. The present work was painted in 1887, at which point Wuttke had settled in Munich. The temple of Minerva was originally situated on the Nerva forum which was inaugurated in 97 A.D. However, since the 17th century, only parts of a wall frieze, two Corinthian capitals and a relief of the Goddess Minerva survive. In this work, Wuttke combines the calm grandeur of the classical edifices with the loud bustling of the modern Roman populace. - This painting is in its original frame.
Private ownership, Belgium.