Lot 227 D

Robert Lebeck - Romy Schneider in Berlin

Auction 1058 - overview Cologne
27.11.2015, 14:30 - Photography
Estimate: 800 €
Result: 1.488 € (incl. premium)

Robert Lebeck

Romy Schneider in Berlin

Gelatin silver print, printed 1998. 25.3 x 37 cm (30.3 x 40.2 cm). Signed, dated, titled, handwritten copyright notice, notes on the print in felt tip pen and photographer's stamp on the verso. - Matted.

"She was incredibly photogenic, probably the most camera benevolent person that I ever had in front of my lense. Taking pictures of Romy Schneider was always like a gift. 'Stern' sent me to her seven times between 1976 and 1981 - at a time when the curious girl that hides in the body of a beautiful woman transformed more and more into a weary actress who felt that life was asking too much from her. But even at the end of her life, when her thin hair and her flickering eyelids could no longer be overlooked, she only needed a little make-up, and she got her glamour back again. I told her that. 'Normally you really look like a grey mouse, but in front of the camera you look like a queen.' She liked that" (cf. Robert Lebeck, in: Tete Böttger (ed.), Robert Lebeck. Vis-à-vis, Göttingen 1999, p. 245).

Literature

Gisela Kayser/Cordula Lebeck (ed.), Robert Lebeck. Fotoreporter, exhib.cat. Marti-Gropius-Bau, Berlin, Göttingen 2008, ill. p. 225; Tete Böttger (ed.), Robert Lebeck. Vis-à-vis, Göttingen 1999, ill. p. 244