Lot 628 D

Bram Bogart - Les blanc

Auction 1060 - overview Cologne
28.11.2015, 11:00 - Contemporary Art
Estimate: 25.000 € - 30.000 €
Result: 32.240 € (incl. premium)

Bram Bogart

Les blanc

Mixed media on canvas. 62 x 69 cm. Signed and dated 'Bogart '60'. Signed, dated and titled 'BOGART Jan. '60 Les Blanc' [sic] and inscribed '6' verso on canvas. - .

In 1960-1961 a change takes place in the work of Bram Bogart, which he himself links to his move from Paris to Brussels. Instead of creating his works on the easel as before, the canvases are arranged on the floor. His new methodology allows him a greater creative freedom applying colour and working the layers of paint which give his works an expressive feeling. ''During these years my work underwent considerable changes. Perhaps because I moved to Brussels. Perhaps because the grey of Paris had influenced me somehow and left its traces. The cubist movement, which came into existence in Paris in 1910, also had been strongly influence by its surroundings. However, this did not stop artist like Sonia Delaunay from making colourful paintings. Whatever the reasons, my colours did change in Brussels, and the easel paintings, which I had been making until 1961, where replaced by jute canvas on panel. Because of the weight and liquidity of my materials, I had to work on the floor. My work now became more expressive, and I was able to enhance the colour by applying paint masses with the brush or a knife. Although I made mainly large size paintings, they never exceeded 200x300 cm. In my opinion, the painter is to remain master of the plane and should dominate it at all times. Formats must not be given too much importance as the contents of a small painting (50 x 70 cm, for example) can be much stronger than those of huge work. I must admit I prefer Rubens' smaller works to his bigger ones.” (Bram Bogart, December 1982, in: Francine-Claire Legrand, Bram Bogart, Tielt 1988, p.103).

Certificate

With accompanying photo-certificate from the artist's son, Bram van den Boogaart, Sint-Truiden.

Provenance

Private collection, Europe