Lot 665 Dα

Jorinde Voigt - Naked (Institution)

Auction 1060 - overview Cologne
28.11.2015, 11:00 - Contemporary Art
Estimate: 25.000 € - 35.000 €
Result: 24.800 € (incl. premium)

Jorinde Voigt

Naked (Institution)

Installation: 10 pine wood bars, acrylic and ink. Length 240 cm, various diameters. Each inscribed 'brown eyes - naked'.

In an interview with Rory MacLean in February 2010, Jorinde Voigt describes the background to her work 'Institution' as follows: ''I travel a lot. When I arrive in a new country I always try to figure out the relationship between men and women. Last year I was in Lamu where many women wear a burka. The clothing seems to reduce the person down to the eyes and ankles. At the same time I wanted my work to develop beyond the paper into a third dimension. I knew that my drawings always have a vertical structure. I was interested in round surfaces as they have something to do with infinity. So the idea of the post came to me: vertical, but round. I wanted to reduce my first impressions, my view of the women of Lamu, to a type of shorthand, to a society that looks at you.'' (cf:<http://www.goethe.de/ins/gb/lp/prj/mtg/men/kun/voi/deindex.htm>).

Voigt, who is primarily known for her abstract drawings, chose a similar pictorial interpretation - lacquered and inscribed wood or aluminum rods - for visualising other artistic issues, such as in the series ''Colelctive Time'', 2010, or ''Botanic Code'', 2009/2010.

Catalogue Raisonné

With accompanying certificate by the artist.

Provenance

Private collection, Germany