Lot 457 D

Ewald Mataré - Mathematik-Kuh I

Auction 1033 - overview Cologne
30.05.2014, 18:00 - Modern Art
Estimate: 15.000 € - 20.000 €
Result: 24.400 € (incl. premium)

Ewald Mataré

Mathematik-Kuh I

Bronze Height 4.2 cm. Width 11.9 cm. Depth 7.2 cm Unstamped proof from an edition of 12 known casts, i.a. Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, and Leopold Hoesch Museum, Düren 1980. - Fine bronze-coloured patina with isolated dark grey areas. - Two small notches to right side edges.

"The bronze version of 'Mathematik Kuh I' is based on a fruitwood sculpture. Whereas the wooden version is more rounded and soft, the bronze displays a fascinating sharpness of form, presence and compactness. The work has a tactile surface with exact edges. The beauty of Mataré's 'Mathematik Kuh I' lies in its prismatic, crystalline form, with which the artist has brought forth and made visible the elemental interior qualities of the animal and raised them to the status of an emblem." (Valentina Vlasic, Guido de Werd, Ewald Mataré. Plastik. Eine rheinische Privatsammlung, Museum Kurhaus Kleve - Ewald Mataré Sammlung, exhib. cat. Kleve 2010, p. 94).

Catalogue Raisonné

Schilling 297a

Provenance

Private possession, Rhineland

Literature

Albert Schulze Vellinghausen, Ewald Mataré. Anlässlich seines 60. Geburtstages. In: Prisma, 1947, I/8, p. 17; Hanns Theodor Flemming, Ewald Mataré, Munich 1955, p. 25, no. 29a, with illus. ( titled 'Liegendes Kalb'); Cat. Collection Karl-Ernst-Osthaus-Museum. Malerei, Plastik, Graphik, Hagen 1961, p. 44; Sabine Maja Schilling, Ewald Mataré, Das freie bildhauerische Werk - Eine Einordnung in die zeitgenössische Plastik, Cologne 1989, p. 238f;

Exhibitions

i.e. Stockholm 1954 (Svens-Franska Konstgalleriet), Ewald Mataré. Skulpturer Träsnitt 1921-1953, no. 69; Amsterdam/Enschede 1964, (Stedelijk Museum/Rijksmuseum Twenthe), Mataré, no. 60, with illus.; Düsseldorf 1967 (Städtische Kunsthalle), Ewald Mataré. Plastiken, Kunsthandwerk, Handzeichnungen, Aquarelle, Graphik, no. 52, with illus.; Cologne 1969 (Dom Galerie), Ewald Mataré, no. 23; Sittard 1969 (Kritzraedhuis), Ewald Mataré, no. 32; Düren 1980 (Leopold-Hoesch-Museum), Stiftungen und Schenkungen, cat. no. 152, with illus.; Kaiserslautern/Heilbronn 1981 (Pfalzgalerie Kaiserslautern/Städtische Museen Heilbronn), Ewald Mataré, no. 19; Düsseldorf 2005 (Akademie Galerie), Ewald Mataré. Eine Werkübersicht, no. 65, with illus.