Marco Ricci - HARBOUR SCENE
Oil on canvas (relined). 100 x 135 cm.
The number "263" in the lower left is an inventory number of the collection of Johann Matthias von der Schulenburg, as illustrated by Ugo Ruggieri in his expertise. Von der Schulenburg successfully served the Republic of Venice as a field marshal. During his over 30 year stay in the lagoone city, he became one of the most significant collectors of Venetian art of his time. Following his death, his collection was sent to Berlin 1736/37, where it was displayed in the gallery of the newly built Palais von der Schulenburg in Wilhelmstrasse. It was the most important collection of paintings of a non-ruling house in Germany, and the most important in Prussia after the royal collection.
According to the inventory list of 1741, the numbers 262 and 263 were two marines by Marco Ricci (cf. A. Binion op.cit.).
>>> Ugo Ruggeri, Venice, October 2012
Purchased via Giovanni Battista Pittoni from Feldmarschall von der Schulenburg 1733. - Private collection, Rhineland.
A. Binion: La galleria scomparsa del maresciallo von der Schulenburg. Un mecenate nella Venezia del Settecento, 1990, pg. 85.