Heinz Mack - Untitled (Lichtrelief)

Auction 1022 - overview Cologne
27.11.2013, 00:00 - Contemporary Art - November 27, 2013
Estimate: 20.000 € - 25.000 €
Result: 46.360 € (incl. premium)

Heinz Mack

Untitled (Lichtrelief)

Embossed aluminium on aluminium on panel. 30 x 40.5 cm. mack 69

Embossed aluminium on aluminium on panel 30 x 40.5 x 1.2 cm. The reverse of panel signed and dated 'mack 69' and with directional arrow. - Minor traces of age.

With accompanying signed photo certificate from the artist, dated August 2013.

Honisch supplement 735 A

Heinz Mack's “Lichtreliefs” (Light Reliefs) have been a central group in his oeuvre since the late 1950s. The most characteristic feature of these works has been the impact of light on the material, aluminium, which the artist has used repeatedly and in a variety of ways. He gives a vivid description of the coincidence that led to the creation of these reliefs: “One day I happened to step onto a thin piece of metal foil that was lying around on a machine-woven carpet. This unexpected incident opened my eyes to a way of showing aesthetic movements. When I picked up the piece of foil, it caused the light to vibrate. As the carpet had been mechanically produced, the resulting impression continued to be both mechanical and decorative; the movement of the reflected light was totally irrelevant and not even all that interesting. My metal reliefs, which I would prefer to call light reliefs and which are formed entirely through fingers pressure, live on light instead of colours. Spotlessly polished, a small amount of relief is enough to disturb the calm of the light and to cause vibration. The potential beauty of this formation was to become a genuine expression of the beauty of light.” (Heinz Mack, quoted in: Dieter Honisch, Mack, Skulpturen 1953 -1986, Düsseldorf and Vienna 1986, p.12)

Catalogue Raisonné

Honisch supplement 735 A

Certificate

With accompanying signed photo certificate from the artist, dated August 2013.