Moritz von Schwind - Saint Andrew
Moritz von Schwind
Watercolour over chalk on paper. 133 x 37.6 cm.
Moritz von Schwind finished his designs for the windows of Landshut church in 1853. The present work perfectly corresponds to the three figures of saints illustrated by Weigmann (op. cit.), two of which were kept in the Großherzoglichen Museum in Darmstadt during the artist's lifetime.
Arnold Otto Meyer, Hamburg (according to a label to verso). - Auctioned by Boerner, Leipzig 16./18.3.1914, lot 102. - Private collection, Germany.- Auctioned by Stahl Hamburg 30.11.2013, lot 334. - Private collection, Germany.
O. Weigmann: Schwind. Des Meisters Werke, 1906, p. 313.