Leonor Fini - Sujet en or - image-1
Leonor Fini - Sujet en or - image-2
Leonor Fini - Sujet en or - image-3
Leonor Fini - Sujet en or - image-1Leonor Fini - Sujet en or - image-2Leonor Fini - Sujet en or - image-3

Lot 276 D

Leonor Fini - Sujet en or

Auction 1078 - overview Cologne
02.12.2016, 18:00 - Modern Art
Estimate: 15.000 € - 20.000 €
Result: 18.600 € (incl. premium)

Leonor Fini

Sujet en or

Two-part gold object (18 carat) Height 14.6 cm. Weight 396 gr. Mounted on granite base (10.8 x 10 x 10 cm), detachable Signed 'Léonor Fini' at the front of the horns' roots and numbered and with stamp mark of the publisher and stamped indication of the gold content verso. Exemplar 8/12. The object can also be worn as a pendant. By means of two enclosed gold-plated rings, the detachable tips of the horns can be additionally used as a hair circlet or a necklace. Published by Claude Tschou, Paris 1973.

“I always thought that man's attributes were meagre. I envied animals for their tough claws, their thudding hooves, their glistening phosphorescent scales, their thick fur - but most of all for their horns … I love these horns when - worked in gold - they undergo a metamorphosis: on their base, they transform into an amulet, a fetish, a talisman.
In a blink of an eye, they turn into a necklace of unyielding delicacy; they turn into a menacing and protecting bracelet or into a medal in the shape of horns still devoid of meaning”. (Leonor Fini, cited after: José Alvarez, Leonor Fini. Das große Bilderbuch, Lausanne and Geneva 1983, p. 44)

Provenance

Galerie Lambert Monet, Geneva (1973); Private collection since, Berlin

Exhibitions

Geneva/Paris 1973 (Galerie Lambert Monet/Galerie Hervé Odermatt), Leonor Fini. Sujet en or