Lot 360 D

Willi Baumeister - Bühnenentwurf zu "Monte Cassino", I. Akt

Auction 1110 - overview Cologne
01.06.2018, 17:00 - Modern Art
Estimate: 3.000 € - 3.500 €
Result: 3.472 € (incl. premium)

Willi Baumeister

Bühnenentwurf zu "Monte Cassino", I. Akt

Gouache, watercolour and pencil on light card 29.8 x 40.2 cm Inscribed 'I. Akt' in pencil in the lower margin and inscribed 'frei und etwas dunkler' to the right side of the composition. - Slightly browned, traces of creasing and minor losses of colour.

In 1949, Willi Baumeister designed these two stage sets for the play "Monte Cassino" as well as the stage curtain. The tragedy, written by the playwright Egon Vietta, which celebrated its world premiere on the municipal stage in Essen, marked the beginning of many years of collaboration between the Stuttgart artist and the theatre director Gustav Rudolf Sellner. As early as the 1920s, Baumeister gained his first experience as a stage designer, which he continued to expand after the war. In 1947, he designed numerous costumes and equipment for Manuel de Falla's famous ballet "Der Liebeszauber", which was performed at the Staatstheater Stuttgart. For Baumeister himself, theatre design became an important part of his artistic oeuvre and continued aspects of his painting in a new, exciting context.

Certificate

With an expertise by Felicitas Baumeister, Stuttgart, dated 22 February 2018 (archive index no. ab-th-1509). We would like to thank Felicitas Baumeister and Hadwig Goez, Archiv Baumeister, for kind information.

Provenance

Acquired directly from the artist; in private possession since, North Rhine-Westphalia

Exhibitions

Stuttgart 2007 (Kunstmuseum Stuttgart), Im Rampenlicht - Baumeister als Bühnenbildner, no cat. no. with colour illus. p. 145