Lot 775 D

Otto Piene - Untitled

Auction 1032 - overview Cologne
31.05.2014, 11:00 - Contemporary Art
Estimate: 30.000 € - 40.000 €
Result: 48.800 € (incl. premium)

Otto Piene

Untitled

Smoke drawing on card. 72 x 101 cm. Framed under glass. Signed and dated 'OPiene' (ligated) '62'. - Traces of studio and minor traces of age.

„The smoke drawings are without ‚handwriting'. Anonymity of the author is widely sustained. My individual moods do not seek prominence; play a minor role only (except for heightened awareness, i.e., sensibility). I think that my artistic involvement, particularly because of my observing distance to my actions, is at least as strong as with drawing in a commonly accepted sense. It is above all in the observing, in the strategy of directing the means. I would gladly withdraw into the background even further, make my author's individuality felt even less, let the force of light work even more authoritatively - in order to further suspend materiality and thusly gain greater freedom. I hope to reach - with a minimum of physical engagement, far removed from any drama - or space of silence, which - because it makes itself felt intensely - invites us to stay“ (Otto Piene in: Otto Piene, Ölbilder, Rauchzeichnungen, Lichtmodelle, Lichtballet, exhib.cat. Galerie Diogenes, Berlin 1960, quoted from: Ante Glibota, Otto Piene, Paris 2011, p.106).

Provenance

Private collection, North Rhine-Westphalia