Jef Verheyen - The emotional effect of Flaming light - image-1
Jef Verheyen - The emotional effect of Flaming light - image-2
Jef Verheyen - The emotional effect of Flaming light - image-1Jef Verheyen - The emotional effect of Flaming light - image-2

Lot 618 D

Jef Verheyen - The emotional effect of Flaming light

Auction 1144 - overview Cologne
29.11.2019, 19:00 - Contemporary Art I
Estimate: 70.000 € - 90.000 €
Result: 86.800 € (incl. premium)

Jef Verheyen

The emotional effect of Flaming light

Varnish on canvas. 160 x 160 cm. Framed in painted studio frame. Signed, dated, titled, and inscribed 'the emotional effect of Flaming light discovered in 1510 Flaming; St. Jean couleur de flamme - de tijd die in de ruimte verdwijnt - tout depart de l'instant Dinsdag 10 Juni 43 St. Saturnin d'Apt Jef Verheyen Peintre Flamant' verso on canvas. - Minor traces of age.

In response to the question “Can we call you a Romantic, a Flemish landscape painter, a light metaphysician, a light mystic?”, Jef Verheyen, who signs his paintings “Jef Verheyen Peintre Flamant”, answered “My artistic intention has something to do with what I call the rhythm of life. I want to create something that has an energy like breathing. Everything breathes - nature also. In order to depict the breathing of a tree, it is necessary to paint a tree. My pictures certainly have something organic for me. In this sense they are realistic. It has nothing to do with mysticism. I don't want to teach people how they should see nature”. (Jef Verheyen, 1973, in an Interview with Reinhard Bentmann, Susanne Müller-Hanpft and Hannah Weitemeier-Steckel, in: Jef Verheyen and Friends, exhib.cat. Langen Foundation, Neuss, Brussels 2010, p.9)

Certificate

We would like to thank Mark de Wit und Annelien De Troij, Jef Verheyen Archive, Heffen, for kind information.

Provenance

Private collection, North Rhine-Westphalia

Exhibitions

Neuchâtel 1975 (Galerie Media), Jef Verheyen, Peintre Flamant