Lot 631 D

Zdeněk Sýkora - Linien Nr. 45

Auction 1144 - overview Cologne
29.11.2019, 19:00 - Contemporary Art I
Estimate: 170.000 € - 200.000 €
Result: 223.200 € (incl. premium)

Zdeněk Sýkora

Linien Nr. 45

Oil on canvas. 150 x 150 cm. Signed and dated 'Sykora 87' verso on canvas. Signed, dated, and titled 'Zdenek Sýkora: Nr. 45 1987' on stretcher and with measurements and artist's address label. - Traces of studio and minor traces of age.

„Prior to using a computer, I created a series of pictures of structural, even ornamental character. It appeared almost unnatural which is why I wanted an even more rational background. I contacted the mathematician Jaroslav Blažek from Louny, who had access to a computer at the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, and after two years of persuasive efforts, I convinced him. The computer accelerated considerably what I had been calculating in my head for a year. (…) My conception of the image is dominant here and the result is defined with the help of technology. I still work in this way today, although the significance of the computer has declined since I switched from structural to linear images around 1974. I have been committed to this for twenty years, and I am unable to turn my back on it, because working with coincidence proffers such a wide range of possibilities that every picture is a surprise, even for me." (Zdenek Sýkora in conversation with Pavel Koukal, in: magazine Severoceský deník, issue 5, no. 30, Prague 04.02.1995, p.4)

Certificate

The present work is registered in the Lenka Sýkorová and Zdenék Sýkora Archive, Louny.

Provenance

Galerie Art Affairs, Amsterdam; private collection, the Netherlands

Exhibitions

Amsterdam 1989 (Galerie Art Affairs), Zdenek Sýkora, Linienbilder
Cologne 1988 (Galerie Heinz Teufel), Zdenek Sýkora und Zeichnungen, exhib.cat., p.5/6. with illus.
Brünn 1988 (Kunsthaus der Stadt Brünn), Zdenek Sýkora, exhib.cat.no.81, n.pag. with colour illus.