A Neoclassical giltwood chair

A Neoclassical giltwood chair

Carved giltwood with lacquer decor and replaced upholstery. The chair rests on moulded supports of square section, of which the front are curved towards the front and the back legs backwards. Straight, moulded apron. The low, concave backrest consists of a moulded rectangular frame containing a pierced rosette motif within a moulded ring. Losses to the polychromy, especially of the back. H 85.5, W 49.5, D 46 cm.
East Germany, late 18th C.

Provenance

Elisabeth Baronin von Klopmann.
Private ownership, Berlin.

Literature

Cf. a chair from Wörlitz Palace in: Schmitz, Deutsche Möbel des Klassizismus, Stuttgart 1923, p. 64.
Cf. cat.: Möbel für das Gartenreich Dessau-Wörlitz, Wolfratshausen 2007, no. 29. In the following text, Andreas Büttner describes this model's popularity. Six chairs are still extant in Dessau (attributed to Johann Andreas Irmer, after 1786) there are also numerous examples in the Ansbach Residence, Mirow Palace in Mecklenburg, the Residence Palace in Weimar, in Tiefurt Palace, in Berlin Palace, in Monbijou Palace, as well as Freienwalde Palace, which was constructed in 1798 - 99 after plans by Gilly (ibid. p. 170f).

Lot 235 Dα

Estimate:
4.000 € - 6.000 €

Result:
7.500 €