A Dresden Neoclassical chandelier

A Dresden Neoclassical chandelier

Large glass lamp mounted in gilt bronze and metal, suspended from three chains. The upper border mounted with a decorative metal band with three ram's head mascarons and two curved branches terminating in six nozzles with drip pans. A small restoration to the inside of the mountings. H 100, D ca. 56 cm.
Attributed to the Churfürstliche Spiegelmanufaktur Dresden, circa 1800.

A similar chandelier hangs in the Otaheitisches Kabinett at the palace on Peacock Island. Until recently it was attributed to the Berlin bronze casting manufactory of Werner & Mieth, which produced chandeliers and small furniture items alongside bronze-mounted glass vases, table centrepieces, and lamps. Through Frank Möller and Birgit Kropmann's research, we now know much more about the manufactory's history and product selection, but we still know relatively little about the works of the Churfürstlichen Spiegelmanufaktur in Dresden. A similar lamp to this one by the Dresden manufactory is illustrated in the "Journal des Luxus und der Moden" from 1798. The Weimar based publisher Friedrich Justin Bertuch published numerous advertisements for the newest luxury products by the Saxon manufacturer. Unlike Werner & Mieth, they used bone glass, the refraction qualities and matt etched surface of which resembles an antique alabaster lamp.

Provenance

Lundgrens Antikhandel, Stockholm.
Collection of H.M. Luther, auctioned by Sotheby´s New York on 24th April 2016, lot 66.
German private collection.

Literature

Cf. the illustration of an alabaster lamp priced at 95 taler, as opposed to the milk glass version which was priced at 40 taler (in: Stiegel, Berliner Möbelkunst vom Ende des 18. bis zur Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts, Munich-Berlin 2003, illus. 191, p. 240 ff).

Lot 236 Dα

Estimate:
12.000 € - 15.000 €

Result:
9.635 €