A Limoges enamel plaque with Venus and Adonis - image-1
A Limoges enamel plaque with Venus and Adonis - image-2
A Limoges enamel plaque with Venus and Adonis - image-1A Limoges enamel plaque with Venus and Adonis - image-2

Lot 918 Dα

A Limoges enamel plaque with Venus and Adonis

Auction 1152 - overview Cologne
29.05.2020, 14:00 - Decorative Arts
Estimate: 6.000 € - 8.000 €
Result: 7.500 € (incl. premium)

A Limoges enamel plaque with Venus and Adonis

Copper panel with monochrome enamel “en grisaille” picked out in red, brown and gilt on midnight blue ground; counter enamel in greyish yellow with craquelure. Rectangular panel depicting Venus and Adonis in a forest landscape with a dove perching in a tree beside them. Small mounting holes on the upper and lower borders. Monogrammed in black “I.L.” lower left, signed on the reverse "Laudin. Emaillieur = au faubourg. de magni a Limoges". Restorations to the upper and lower edges and the upper right corner. H 16.7, W 20.8 cm.
Limoges, Laudin workshop, Jules Laudin or Jacques II Laudin, second half 17th C.

The monogram I.L. is attributed to either Jacques II or Jules Laudin. Several plaques by Jules Laudin, some of which are polychrome, are housed in the Musée St. Remi in Reims. A candlestick attributed to Jacques II signed "Laudin Emaillieur a Limoges. I.L." can be found in the collection of the Kunstgewerbemuseum in Berlin (inv. no. K 5067). Nevertheless, the attribution to either of their workshops cannot be made with certainty.

Provenance

Private collection, Copenhagen.

Literature

Cf. Netzer, Maleremails aus Limoges. Der Bestand des Berliner Kunstgewerbemuseums, Berlin 1999, no. 22.