Carl Wilhelm Götzloff - View of Sorrent
Carl Wilhelm Götzloff
View of Sorrent
Oil on canvas (relined). 86.5 x 132 cm.
Signed lower right: C. Götzlof..
Following his training at the Academy of Art in Dresden from 1814 to 1821, Carl Wilhelm Götzloff set off for Italy on a royal travel grant that was extended several times until 1825. From Rome, he embarked on numerous excursions with befriended painters such as Ludwig Richter and Heinrich Reinhold, travelling to Tivoli and Frascati, Capri, Amalfi and Sorrento, as well as Olevano and the Sabine and Albanian mountains. In 1825 he moved to Naples, where he met Carl Gustav Carus and Carl Blechen. From 1835 to 1838 he was court painter to Ferdinand II, King of both Sicilies. After a stay in Sorrento from 1848-1850 he settled again in Naples, where his house became a meeting place for artists.
Although initially influenced by the painting of the Dresden Romantics, Götzloff abandoned this model soon after the beginning of his lifelong stay in Italy that began in 1821. Especially after his move to Naples, he was to develop a distinct and sensitive personal style, combining within his Italian landscapes Classical, Romantic, and realist aspects, often enlivened with the cheerful folkloric figures typical of the country. The present work is a characteristic example of his Italian landscapes in which, with an eye well accustomed to the typical motifs and compositional elements of well-known and well-loved landscapes such as the bays of Naples and Sorrento, with their harmonious juxtaposition of mountains, architecture, people, and the sea, he perfectly evokes the magic of the Mediterranean in his depiction of distance, light, and atmosphere.
J.P. Schneider jr. art dealers, Frankfurt/ Main, 1972. - Private collection, Hesse. - Private collection, Rhineland.
Alexander Bastek and Markus Bertsch (Ed.): Carl Wilhelm Götzloff (1799-1866). Ein Dresdner Landschaftsmaler am Golf von Neapel, Catalogue for the exhibition in the Museum Behnhaus Drägerhaus, Lübeck, 2.5.-20.7.2014, and in the Mittelrhein-Museum Koblenz, 8.8.-2.11.2014, Petersberg 2014, p. 237, catalogue raisonné no. 176.