Joannis Avramidis - Vierfigurengruppe

Auction 1155 - overview Cologne
19.06.2020, 18:00 - Modern and Contemporary Art - Evening Sale
Estimate: 60.000 € - 80.000 €
Result: 75.000 € (incl. premium)

Joannis Avramidis

Vierfigurengruppe
1959/1960

Bronze with grey-green patina. Height 85.5 cm. Bronze cast of an edition of 5. - Minor traces of age.

Joannis Avramidis dedicated his entire creative oeuvre to the ideal, universally valid human figure of perfect proportions. In keeping with his Greek origins, he takes his inspiration from the models of ancient Greece: the structure of the human figure based on strictly symmetrical, archaic foundations, which resulted in the perfectly proportioned body of classical statues. By intensively studying and drawing nature as well as studying the antique collections of museums around the end of the 1950s, Avramidis acquired his own mathematical construction scheme for the human figure - the sign of a person, so to speak, not in individual form or in movement, but in perfect statics and in hermetic, comprehensive coherence. The artist considered himself as a part of the millennia-old tradition of classical sculpture: “I have the ideal that my work should be as little time-dependent as possible. My ideal conception is that my work could have been created in a different period, in the Early Renaissance or in ancient Greece.” (Joannis Avramidis, as cited in: exhib.cat. Joannis Avramidis, Leopold Museum Wien, Cologne 2017, p.215).
In addition to the individual figures, Avramidis also created groups of figures following his construction scheme. According to his ideal image based on antiquity, they indicate the Greek principal of the “polis”, in other words the city state as an independent unity and community of free individuals. Accordingly, he construed figures standing on common ground as individuals, but in a densely packed group. The spatial density suggests collaborative exchange; the same head height expresses the equality of all. The group of figures thus epitomises a humanistic concept which has lost none of its topicality.

Provenance

Directly from the artist; collection Emil Cimiotti, Wolfenbüttel

Literature

Domus, Monthly magazine of architecture, design, interiors, arts, Milan 1962, n.pag. with illus. (probably this cast)

Exhibitions

Venice 1962 (XXXI. Biennale di Venezia) (with enclosed label) (this cast)
Frankfurt/M. 1986 (Karmeliterkloster), Joannis Avramidis, Skulpturen, exhib.cat.no.12 (different cast)
Bremen 1979/1980 (Kunsthalle), Mannheim 1980 (Städtische Kunsthalle), Joannis Avramidis, Skulpturen und Handzeichnungen, exhib.cat.no.13, n.pag. with illus. (different cast)
Graz 1974 (Neue Galerie am Landesmuseum Joanneum), Trigonpersonale 5, Joannis Avramidis, Plastik, Grafik, exhib.cat.no.12, n.pag. with illus. (different cast)
Frankfurt/M. 1967 (Galerie Appel und Fertsch), Joannis Avramidis, n.pag. with illus.24, p.32 with illus. (different cast)