Carl Wilhelm Christian Malchin
Bischofstein Castle on the Moselle
Oil on canvas. 187 x 154 cm.
Signed and dated lower right: C. Malchin. 1906.
The Archbishop of Trier, Arnold II, began with the construction of Castle Bischofstein on the west bank of the Moselle in the mid-13th century. The castle complex was destroyed by French troops in 1689 during the Palatine War of Succession and rebuilt only in 1930 using the remains of the walls, less as a historical reconstruction of the old castle, but more as a building of the 1930s which has been used as a school youth centre since 1954.
The fact that the painter Carl (Wilhelm Christian) Malchin - known for motifs and city views of his Mecklenburg homeland - created a veduta of the Moselle, can be traced back to the commission of the then owner of the Schwerin-based wine merchant Uhle, who exhibited this view of the important German wine-growing region in his salerooms. Carl Malchin depicted the castle - still a ruin before the reconstruction - from the foot of the spur of the mountain on which the building was erected in the 13th century. The circa 25-meter-high, largely preserved castle keep with the characteristic white plaster strip halfway up can be seen on the right.
The Staatliche Museum Schwerin commemorated Carl Malchin last year with the large exhibition “Von Barbizon bis ans Meer. Carl Malchin und die Entdeckung Mecklenburgs” which featured several oil sketches by the artist.