Bernhard Heiliger - Zwei Figuren in Beziehung I (small version) - image-1

Lot 121 N

Bernhard Heiliger - Zwei Figuren in Beziehung I (small version)

Auction 1162 - overview Cologne
08.12.2020, 18:00 - Evening Sale - Modern and Contemporary Art
Estimate: 40.000 € - 45.000 €

Bernhard Heiliger

Zwei Figuren in Beziehung I (small version)

Bronze with golden-brown patina. Height 51 cm. Signed 'B. HEILIGER' (scratched) on the plinth. One of 2 bronze cast. - Minor traces of age.

Based on this bronze cast, a large version was created, a natural fibre cement cast of 250 cm in height, which was set up on the terrace of the Ludwig-Georgs-Gymnasium in Darmstadt, designed by Max Taut.
“[...] a small version from 1953 that had been shown for the first time on the occasion of the touring exhibition 'Duitse Kunst na 1945' at the Amsterdamer Stedeliijk Museum from 5th March until 5th April. No documents have been found to date that substantiate that Heiliger had already made the small version of 'Two Figures in Relationship I' or if he created it with regard to the architectural situation of the school building. [...] However, it is equally possible that Taut merely selected the version that already existed in Heiliger's studio as being particularly suitable. It is precisely with this in mind that Heiliger expresses himself about 40 years after its creation. [...] One of the two anthropomorphic figures points with an openly, tension-filled gesture in the direction of the second figure, which forms the passive counterpart of this dialogue, in a column-shaped closed manner." (Marc Wellmann, Bernhard Heiligers Arbeiten für den öffentlichen Raum, in: Bernhard Heiliger 1915-1995, Monographie und Werkverzeichnis, Cologne 2005, p.134)

Catalogue Raisonné

Marc Wellmann (ed.), Bernhard Heiliger 1915-1995, monograph and catalogue raisonné, Cologne 2005, cat.rais.no.159

Provenance

Directly from the artist; Vincent Weber; Joachim Leisegang; private collection, Switzerland

Literature

cf. Eduard Trier, Moderne Plastik, Frankfurt/M. 1955, plate 75

Exhibitions

cf. New York 1961 (Staempfli Gallery), Bernhard Heiliger, cat.no.7

cf. Munich 1960 (Galerie Günther Franke), Bernhard Heiliger, Kat.Nr.8

cf. Mannheim 1958 (Kunsthalle), Deutsche Kleinplastik der Gegenwart, cat.no. 22

cf. Berlin 1957 (Haus am Waldsee), Bernhard Heiliger, cat.no.10
cf. Hagen 1955 (Karl-Ernst-Osthaus-Museum), Bernhard Heiliger), cat.no.179

cf. Kassel 1955 (documenta I, cat.no.218a
cf. Amsterdam 1954/1955 (Stedelijk Museum), Duitse Kunst na 1945, Wanderausstellung 1954/1955, cat.no.132