A silver beaker made for Adelgundis I Pettenkofer - image-1
A silver beaker made for Adelgundis I Pettenkofer - image-2
A silver beaker made for Adelgundis I Pettenkofer - image-3
A silver beaker made for Adelgundis I Pettenkofer - image-4
A silver beaker made for Adelgundis I Pettenkofer - image-1A silver beaker made for Adelgundis I Pettenkofer - image-2A silver beaker made for Adelgundis I Pettenkofer - image-3A silver beaker made for Adelgundis I Pettenkofer - image-4

Lot 1015 Dα

A silver beaker made for Adelgundis I Pettenkofer

Auction 1174 - overview Cologne
04.06.2021, 12:00 - Decorative Arts
Estimate: 4.000 € - 6.000 €
Result: 4.750 € (incl. premium)

A silver beaker made for Adelgundis I Pettenkofer

Tapering beaker on a waisted basal ring. Decorated throughout with embossed strapwork on dotted ground and engraved with a coat-of-arms surrounded by the inscription “Anglobungs Praesent von denen Samentl. Walburgneische Underthanen 1732, de 16. Julij der Sr. Sr. Maria Anna Adelguntis Bettenkhofferin Abbtissin”. H 11 cm, weight 157 g.
Augsburg, marks of Philipp Stenglin, 1729 – 33.

The Benedictine nun Adelgundis I Pettenkoffer (1696 - 1756) was abbess of St. Walburga in Eichstätt from 1730 until her death - and during her tenure she commissioned numerous artists with the elaborate reconstruction of the monastery in the Rococo style. The abbess, who was of bourgeois origin, loved princely splendour and cultivated, as far as possible within the monastic framework, an aristocratic style of government and life. Accordingly, she attached great importance to her connections with members of the high nobility, who visited the church and monastery as pilgrims and made generous donations to the abbey. She maintained particularly close relations with the Wittelsbach court in Munich, especially with the Bavarian Elector Karl Albrecht, later Emperor Karl VII, his brothers and his wife Maria Amalia, who made several pilgrimages to the tomb of St. Walburga during the reign of the abbess. As mistress of the land and law courts, the abbess was entitled to the so-called homage of the monastery subjects after her accession to power, which took place at Adelgundis I on July 9, 1732 (cf. Zunker, Die Benediktinerinnenabtei St. Walburga in Eichstätt, in: Germania Sacra III, Göttingen 2018, pp. 150, 209).
BU: copperplate engraving by Bernhard Vogel 1734