Lot 78 Dα

Günther Förg - Untitled

Auction 1200 - overview Cologne
01.06.2022, 18:00 - Evening Sale - Modern and Contemporary Art
Estimate: 50.000 € - 70.000 €
Result: 57.960 € (incl. premium)

Günther Förg

Untitled

Bronze with green-black patina. 120 x 70.5 x 7 cm. One of 3 casts. - Minor traces of age.

Britta Buhlmann wrote of Günther Förg’s bronze reliefs in the catalogue of the exhibition in Haus Lange, Krefeld in 1987: “In order to first encounter a bronze panel by Günther Förg, I had to travel to Cologne. I saw them in a small garden between the house and the garage, still soaking wet from a rain shower. I thought the relief had been painted. As wished, the clouds parted for several minutes and allowed the sunlight to fall on the vertical bronze slab. The finely structured surface revealed the most delicate colour shades of red, yellow, brown, gold, rust and black. A lively colour play, slightly broken by the shifting relief which, like the brushstroke of the lead pictures, incorporate the artist’s ‘handwriting’ in the work. Förg’s bronze panels are produced using the sand-casting process. […] This process explains the fine surface structure which clearly shows the sand grains of the mould. […] The reliefs give out a tactile appeal and invite one to trace the grooves, hollows and protrusions with the hand, to empathise.” (Britta E. Buhlmann, Günther Förg, Fragmente zur Ausstellung im Museum Haus Lange, in: Günther Förg, exhib.cat. Krefeld, Museum Haus Lange et.al., Krefeld 1987, p.12)

Certificate

We would like to thank Michael Neff from the Günther Förg Estate for kindly confirming the authenticity of this work.

Provenance

Christie's, London, 25.03.1993, lot 199; private collection, Hesse