Gabriele Münter - Zinnien und weiße Begonie - image-1
Gabriele Münter - Zinnien und weiße Begonie - image-2
Gabriele Münter - Zinnien und weiße Begonie - image-1Gabriele Münter - Zinnien und weiße Begonie - image-2

Lot 11 D

Gabriele Münter - Zinnien und weiße Begonie

Auction 1211 - overview Cologne
02.12.2022, 18:00 - Evening Sale - Modern and Contemporary Art
Estimate: 30.000 € - 40.000 €
Result: 31.500 € (incl. premium)

Gabriele Münter

Zinnien und weiße Begonie

Watercolour over pencil on laid paper with watermark "P M F" (cut). 36.9 x 42 cm. Framed under glass. Monogrammed 'Mü' lower right. Estate stamp "NACHLASS GABRIELE MÜNTER MÜ" verso (not recorded by Lugt). Numbered "48/34, 23, IX" in pencil lower left corner. - Very good condition with fresh colours, slight fold to upper right corner.

The floral still life “Zinnien und weiße Begonie” from the Münter estate once again demonstrates her artistic talent for bringing together two simple arrangements of flowers in a harmonious manner. A white begonia and a bouquet of yellow and reddish zinnias stand on a round table or tray set before a luminously blue ground. As she wrote to Johannes Eichner, the romantic companion of her later life, zinnias were among her favourite flowers, because they reminded her of the garden at her parents’ house in Herford: “My mother planted a round flower bed full of zinnias. They come in every colour. There is nothing more beautiful than the bold and the waning, faded tones of these flowers. They are like old pieces of fabric. I still loved them when I got old and now I go in my garden and paint them a lot” (Gabriele Münter – Johannes Eichner Stiftung, manuscript). With this watercolour, Münter refers back to the larger oil painting of the same name from 1934 (private collection).

Certificate

The work is registered in the estate of the artist under the number Kon. 9/4.

Provenance

Estate Gabriele Münter; Galerie Gunzenhauser, Munich (1978);Private collection, North Rhineland-Westphalia; thenceforth property of a family

Literature

Gabriele Münter. Aquarelle, Handzeichnungen, Galerie Gunzenhauser, Munich 1978, cat. no. 34 ("Herbstliches Stillleben mit Astern").