A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony - image-1
A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony - image-2
A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony - image-3
A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony - image-4
A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony - image-5
A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony - image-6
A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony - image-1A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony - image-2A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony - image-3A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony - image-4A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony - image-5A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony - image-6

Lot 1042 Dα

A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony

Auction 1096 - overview Cologne
17.11.2017, 10:00 - Deorative Arts
Estimate: 6.000 € - 8.000 €
Result: 5.952 € (incl. premium)

A large Berlin silver table centrepiece made for King Albert I of Saxony

With the royal Saxon coat-of-arms in relief to the baluster shaft. With a blue glass inset. W 54.5; D 36; H 52 cm, weight of silver 3,555 g.
Marks of Heinrich Daniel Meyen & Co, ca. 1890.

Heinrich Daniel Meyer and his colleague Loebel Schlesinger both carried the title of Imperial and Grand Ducal Court Goldsmiths.
The later King Albert I (1828 - 1902) married Princess Carola of Saxony-Holstein (1833 - 1907), daughter of the Swedish crown prince, in 1853. A label to the underside of the piece indicates that the centrepiece was given as a present by Queen Carola shortly after the death of her husband at Sibyllenort Palace in Breslau in Silesia.