Lot 462 D

Hermann Max Pechstein - Karneval I

Auction 1070 - overview Cologne
03.06.2016, 18:00 - Modern Art
Estimate: 6.000 € - 8.000 €
Result: 4.960 € (incl. premium)

Hermann Max Pechstein

Karneval I

Lithograph on thin, smooth chamois coloured paper 28 x 38 cm (41 x 52.3/52.9 cm) Framed under glass. Signed and dated 'Pechstein 1910' in pencil lower right and titled 'Karneval I' lower left. Sheet 1 of the eponymous series of 10 lithographs. Handprinted by Pechstein. Extremly rare. - In fine condition with clear impression. The sheet slightly irregularly cut. - Slightly browned and with a minor light-stain in the former mat opening; with some small, localised fox marks; a small, professionally closed tear at upper margin.

Stage and dance played a well-known, extremely important role as motifs in the art of the turn of the century and in German Expressionism. Pechstein, as well, was inspired by the ballet pantomime "Carneval", which the Russian Ballet performed in Berlin's "Theater des Westens" in October 1910.

Catalogue Raisonné

Krüger L 115

Provenance

Former collection Joachim (Jim) Mersmann, Wiesbaden, since then in family possession

Literature

Waltraut Neuerburg, Der graphische Zyklus im deutschen Expressionismus und seine Typen 1905 bis 1925, Bonn 1976 (Dissl.), p. 81 f.

Exhibitions

Berlin Jan. 1912 (Gutenberg-Kunsthandlung), Graphische Arbeiten von Max Pechstein, cf-. cat. no. 17,18