Lot 525 Dα

Zdeněk Sýkora - Linie Nr. 28

Auction 1052 - overview Cologne
30.05.2015, 11:30 - Contemporary Art
Estimate: 80.000 € - 100.000 €
Result: 142.600 € (incl. premium)

Zdeněk Sýkora

Linie Nr. 28

Oil on canvas. 150.5 x 150.5 cm. Verso on canvas signed and dated 'Sýkora 85', the stretcher signed, dated and titled 'Zdenek Sýkora, Nr. 28, 1985' and with dimensions and studio stamp. - Traces of studio and minor traces of age as well as some minor professional retouches to margins.

„The Lines detach themselves from me once I am finished. I view them as a new, unknown landscape. I do not think about anything. I watch them and think about them just with my eyes. I do not look for any other meanings… Sometimes I find an echo of my existential feelings: the ungraspable nature of the world, the lack of clarity that defines human existence, the infiniteness. No certainty! So what remains? Nothing but the joy of living.” (Zdenek Sýkora, Vítek Capek, An interview with Zdenek Sýkora, in: Lenka Sýkorová (ed.), Zdenek Sýkora, Interviews, Prague 2009, p.92)
The present work ‚Lines No. 28' - an early painting from the group of line-based pictures - unites various key aspects of Sýkora's oeuvre of the 1980s, including the variable lengths and widths of the lines which snake themselves across the entire picture surface. With the lines at times extending over the boundaries of the canvas, combined with a particular depth evoked by their layering, Sýkora's quoted sentiment of 'infiniteness' is clearly comprehensible for the viewer. The use of circular forms, as here in black at the centre and light blue at lower left, have also been seen in numerous pictures since the early 1980s. They hint at the 'spots' series from the end of the decade, in which Sýkora softened the sharp contours of the circles and these spots became an image-defining element.

Certificate

The present work is registered in the Archiv Lenka Sýkorová und Zdenek Sýkora, Louny.

Provenance

Sammlung Anne-Marie and Herbert Grönebaum, Bavaria; private collection, Bavaria

Exhibitions

Esslingen 1989 (Galerie der Stadt Esslingen), Tschechische Malerei heute
Brünn 1988 (Dum umení mesta Brna/The Brno House of Arts), Prag 1988 (Konzert- und Ausstellungssaal der OKD), Zdenek Sýkora, exh.cat.no.72
Bottrop 1986 (Quadrat Bottrop, Josef Albers Museum), Zdenek Sýkora, Retrospektive, exh.cat.no.42