A pair of marble plaques with monks

A pair of marble plaques with monks - image-1
A pair of marble plaques with monks - image-2
A pair of marble plaques with monks - image-1A pair of marble plaques with monks - image-2

A pair of marble plaques with monks

White Carrara marble and black marble plaques with depictions of a bearded monk in a habit and hood facing slightly towards the right and gazing at a skull held in his hands, and a figure with a bushy beard facing left with his hands crossed in front of his chest. One piece from the background broken and reattached. H 48 and 48.5, W 40.5 cm.
Venice or Padua, late 17th / early 18th C., attributed to Giovanni Bonazza.

Giovanni Bonazza (1654 - 1736) began his studies in Venice under Giusto Le Court. He moved to Padua in 1696, presumably because he had already received commissions there, mainly for church decorations. He specialised in religious works, but also created numerous garden sculptures and was one of the Venetian sculptors entrusted with the creation of the works for the Russian imperial gardens. The statues of Adam and Eve in the fountain of Peterhof, dated 1718, are attributed to him. He also realised a substantial program of allegorical figures for the summer gardens at Saint Petersburg, representing dawn, midday, afternoon, and night. Bonazza died in Padua, where he was buried in the church of San Michele Arcangelo.

Provenance

North Italian collection.

Lot 991 Dα

Estimate:
15.000 € - 18.000 €

Bid
Request condition report