Lot 400 Dα

Karl Hagemeister - Große Woge - Stürmische See

Auction 1033 - overview Cologne
30.05.2014, 18:00 - Modern Art
Estimate: 20.000 € - 25.000 €
Result: 36.600 € (incl. premium)

Karl Hagemeister

Große Woge - Stürmische See

Oil on canvas 108.5 x 168.5 cm Framed. Signed and dated 'K Hagemeister 1915' lower right. - Colours still fresh. With craqueleur, especially in the area of the sky and the pastose white areas. Some partial retouching. Few tiny losses of colour.

Karl Hagemeister was a keen and devoted observer of nature, and masterfully depicted the substance and effects of light upon what he saw in his works. In 1915 he began a series of large format paintings, to which the present work belongs, showing rough seas beneath gloomy, storm-swept skies. These works depict the power of the crashing waves in dynamic close up, capturing every shade of the sea spray and churning water.
“I have recognised […] that movement is a part of breathing life and that it can only be achieved through the purest differences in the application of colour… When I see passionate things, I always see the light and air doing battle over them, and thus when I paint I always first depict things as heavy masses of colour which I then envelope in light and air. I use two main hues on the canvas, which I draw from the sky. In a way, this process mimics that of nature.” (Karl Hagemeister, cited in: Werner Doede, Die Berliner Sezession. Berlin als Zentrum der deutschen Kunst von der Jahrhundertwende bis zum Ersten Weltkrieg, Frankfurt/Main i.a. 1977, p. 92).

Catalogue Raisonné

Warmt G 547

Provenance

Artist's estate; Margarethe Schweitze, Brandenburg/Havel; Private possession, North Rhine-Westphalia

Literature

Cf. painting "Die Welle" (Warmt 546, possession: Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, Nationalgalerie), in: Werner Doede, Die Berliner Secession, Frankfurt 1977, p. 92, illus. 100