Lot 205 Dα

Alexej von Jawlensky - Meditation. December 1935 N. 21

Auction 1051 - overview Cologne
29.05.2015, 18:00 - Modern Art
Estimate: 50.000 € - 60.000 €
Result: 59.520 € (incl. premium)

Alexej von Jawlensky

Meditation. December 1935 N. 21

Oil on linen-textured paper mounted on card 18.9 x 13.4 cm. - Firmly mounted to a light backing card (32.4 x 24.9 cm) Framed under glass. Monogrammed 'A.J.' in red lower left and dated '35' to the left. - The lower corners of the backing card inscribed in black ink by Lisa Kümmel "XII.1935." left and numbered "N.21" right, these inscriptions repeated on the reverse. - The back of the card inscribed centrally "I A" (possibly by the artist), a quality assessment by the artist.

It is well known how severely Jawlensky's painful illness limited his physical mobility in his old age; he was thus able to guide a brush only with difficulty. Nonetheless he achieved masterworks of painterly concentration in the series of the late “Meditationen”. None is the same as any other. Only the characteristic painterly hand remains the same, masters the format and expresses a paradox: formal rigour of the composition, calm, contemplation and yet extremely gentle, expressive, inner and outward movement and vitality.
In his “Lebenserinnerungen” Jawlensky writes: “My works of my last period have been in very small formats, but the paintings are even deeper and more spiritual, spoken only through colour. Because I have sensed that, as a result of my illness, I will no longer be able to work in the future, I worked like a possessed person on these little 'Meditations' of mine. And now for the future I leave these small but, for me, important works to those people who love art.” (Alexej von Jawlensky, cited in: Tayfun Belgin (ed.), Alexej von Jawlensky, Reisen, Freunde, Wandlungen, exhib. cat. Dortmund 1998, p. 119)

Catalogue Raisonné

M. Jawlensky/Pieroni-Jawlensky/A. Jawlensky 1768, colour illus. p. 192

Certificate

We would like to thank Angelika Jawlensky Bianconi of the Jawlensky Archive in Locarno for her additional information.

Provenance

Acquired directly from the artist by the previous owner; since then in family possession, North German private possession

Exhibitions

Wiesbaden 1948 (Galerie Hillesheimer), Alexej von Jawlensky (solo exhibition), no. 28 ("Kopf Nr. 21"); Museum am Ostwall, Dortmund (private loan 1992 - 2004); since 2004 on loan from private possession to the Pommersches Landesmuseum, Greifswald