Landschaft mit Fabrik
Oil on canvas 36.5 x 48.5 cm Framed. Signed and dated 'A. Erbslöh. 15.' in blue lower left and additionally signed and titled 'A. Erbslöh Landschaft mit Fabrik' in pencil to the reverse of the stretcher.
This painting originated during Erbslöh's military service on the Western Front. The renowned architect Wilhelm Durand (1885 - 1960) probably purchased the work directly from the painter, as he had regular contact with the artists in Murnau at this time. Erbslöh became a co-founder and head writer for the "Neue Münchner Künstlervereinigung e.V." in 1909. Other prominent members of this association included Wassily Kandinsky, Franz Marc, Gabriele Münter and Erbslöh's good friend Alexander Kanoldt.
The present work uses an unusual style of brushwork which follows the budding growth of the plants and trees. Despite the vividness of the colour palette and the bright, glistening highlights, the dense and towering composition still lends the work a heavy atmosphere. The wall-like echelon of trees, which appears almost like the background of a stage set, combined with the chimney of a factory is a typical motif of this artist. Depictions of factories and their characteristic chimneys not only appealed to the sociological but also to the aesthetic interest in technology and industry at that time. Erbslöh's wife Adeline, née Schuchard, also belonged to a family of factory owners from Wuppertal-Barmen.
We would like to thank Brigitte Salmen and Felix Billeter for their kind, confirmatory information. The work will be included in the upcoming catalogue raisonné of Adolf Erbslöh's paintings.
Collection of Wilhelm Durand and Anne-Marie Durand-Wever, Bad Tölz/Munich/Berlin (labelled to the back of the canvas); subsequently in family ownership.
Wuppertal 1967 (Kunst- und Museumsverein), Adolf Erbslöh 1881 - 1947, cat. no. N 79