A Kassel silver centrepiece made for Elector Wilhelm I of Hesse-Kassel. Marks of Heinrich Wilhelm Kompff, 1806. - image-1
A Kassel silver centrepiece made for Elector Wilhelm I of Hesse-Kassel. Marks of Heinrich Wilhelm Kompff, 1806. - image-2
A Kassel silver centrepiece made for Elector Wilhelm I of Hesse-Kassel. Marks of Heinrich Wilhelm Kompff, 1806. - image-3
A Kassel silver centrepiece made for Elector Wilhelm I of Hesse-Kassel. Marks of Heinrich Wilhelm Kompff, 1806. - image-1A Kassel silver centrepiece made for Elector Wilhelm I of Hesse-Kassel. Marks of Heinrich Wilhelm Kompff, 1806. - image-2A Kassel silver centrepiece made for Elector Wilhelm I of Hesse-Kassel. Marks of Heinrich Wilhelm Kompff, 1806. - image-3

Lot 980 Dα

A Kassel silver centrepiece made for Elector Wilhelm I of Hesse-Kassel. Marks of Heinrich Wilhelm Kompff, 1806.

Auction 1075 - overview Cologne
18.11.2016, 17:00 - Selected Works
Estimate: 6.300 € - 7.000 €
Result: 6.820 € (incl. premium)

A Kassel silver centrepiece made for Elector Wilhelm I of Hesse-Kassel. Marks of Heinrich Wilhelm Kompff, 1806.

Engraved to the centre with the monogram "WK" beneath a prince's crown. H 14.5; diameter 28.5 cm, weight 1325 g.

As the Counts of Hesse-Kassel attained the rank of electors in 1803, it called for the creation of a new set of court silver. Heinrich Wilhelm Kompff was commissioned with its making in the same year. After providing numerous items of cutlery and candlesticks between 1803 and 1805, Kompff provided most of the core pieces in 1806, shortly before William I left Hesse as an opponent of Napoleon and had to go into exile in Prague until late 1813. This centrepiece belonged to a set of four and was made in this year. Two matching pieces are kept in the Hessischen Hausstiftung in the Museum Schloss Fasanerie in Fulda.

Provenance

Private collection, Hesse.

Literature

Illus. in cat.: Kasseler Silber, Kassel 1998, no. 184/3.

Exhibitions

Kasseler Silber aus Barock, Empire und Gründerzeit, Staatliche Museen Kassel, 1998.