Lot 4 Dα

Julia Margaret Cameron - George Frederic Watts

Auction 1089 - overview Cologne
31.05.2017, 15:00 - Photography
Estimate: 3.000 € - 4.000 €
Result: 3.472 € (incl. premium)

Julia Margaret Cameron

George Frederic Watts

Albumen print. 33.5 x 26.8 cm. Flush-mounted to original card. Annotated by a former owner in ink 'To Rudolf Zwintscher [german composer and pianist] from V.A.T., June 1902. Photograph from life by G.F. Watts (Signor) by Julia Margaret Cameron' on the reverse of the frame. - The original card trimmed to image size (slightly irregular). Framed.

This shot depicts the English painter and sculptor George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), who was a close friend and mentor of the photographer. It was he who encouraged her to begin her series of large-format, close-up portraits of famous artists and literary figures, which we proudly inscribed 'from life' or 'not enlarged'. The project began with the aquisition of a new 15 x 22" plate camera in 1865. "Cameron declared her artistc intention with these life-size heads by dedicating them "for the signor", Watts. Writing to Herschel on February 18, 1866, she reported, "I have just been engaged in that which Mr. Watts has always been urging me to do. A Series of Life sized heads - they are not only from the Life, but also to the Life, and startle the eye with wonder & delight. I hope they will astonish the Public." (see Julian Cox, in: op.cit., p. 65)

Literature

Julian Cox/Colin Ford (ed.), Julia Margaret Cameron. The Complete Photographs, London 2003, plate 828.