A pair of Berlin silver salvers made for King William I - image-1
A pair of Berlin silver salvers made for King William I - image-2
A pair of Berlin silver salvers made for King William I - image-3
A pair of Berlin silver salvers made for King William I - image-4
A pair of Berlin silver salvers made for King William I - image-1A pair of Berlin silver salvers made for King William I - image-2A pair of Berlin silver salvers made for King William I - image-3A pair of Berlin silver salvers made for King William I - image-4

Lot 284 Dα

A pair of Berlin silver salvers made for King William I

Auction 1105 - overview Berlin
21.04.2018, 14:00 - Prussia II
Estimate: 3.000 € - 4.000 €
Result: 4.092 € (incl. premium)

A pair of Berlin silver salvers made for King William I

Monogrammed "WR" beaneath the Prussian crown, engraved "No. 2", "No. 14" and weights "1,895" and "1,902" to the undersides. D 32.5 cm, total weight 1,880 g.
Marks of Humbert & Sohn, circa 1861.

After much of the Prussian court table silver was smelted down in 1809 and 1813, this fine silver service - originally created for the wedding of the later Emperor William I in 1829 - formed the foundation of the new silver collection in the 19th century. This decor was first used in England by Paul Storr towards the beginning of the century, and enjoyed ongoing popularity since its conception, as illustrated by the numerous subsequent orders of plates, platters, and bowls with the crowned monogram of the reigning King placed with various court goldsmiths (cf. cat.: Kronschatz und Silberkammer der Hohenzollern, Berlin/Munich 2010, p. 71.)