Eugène Gustav Dücker
Oil on canvas. 59 x 96 cm.
Signed and dated lower left: E. Dücker 1876.
Eugène Gustav Dücker visited the St.Petersburg Academy from 1858 to 1862. He settled in Düsseldorf in 1864 and in 1872 he took over from Oswald Achenbach as professor of landscape painting at the Academy there. Dücker taught his pupils, who included M. Clarenbach and E. Kampf, a modern manner of painting landscapes and thus greatly influenced the development of landscape painting in the late phase of the Düsseldorf school.
Dücker's works tend to depict coastal landscapes, woodlands such as that shown in the present work are rarer. His works express a feeling of nature's calm and dispense with dramatic effects and figures. Although this work utilises a reduced colour palette, the artist makes the most of its miriad nuances.