Gerhard Richter - Haut II - image-1

Lot 652 Rα

Gerhard Richter - Haut II

Auction 1135 - overview Cologne
01.06.2019, 14:00 - Contemporary Art
Estimate: 70.000 € - 90.000 €

Gerhard Richter

Haut II

Colour silkscreen on canvas. 60 x 90 cm. Framed. Signed, dated, and inscribed 'Druckprobe für "Milk" Richter 2004' verso. One of a total of 6 proofs on canvas from the edition Haut I and Haut II. In addition, 80 proofs on paper were published of Haut I and Haut II resp.

The editions of 'Haut I' and 'Haut II' were created on the occasion of the Gerhard Richter exhibition 'Printed! Druckgrafik, Foto-Editionen und Künstlerbücher' at Kunstmuseum Bonn 2004. The two oil paintings titled 'Abstraktes Bild (Haut)' (WVZ 887-2 and 887-3), addressing the same topic, also originated in that year.
The two oil paintings titled 'Abstraktes Bild (Haut)' (WVZ 887-2 and 887-3), addressing the same topic, also originated in that year. In a 10-piece series, Nicolai photographed the surface of milk subjected to an acoustic signal within a frequency range between 10 and 150 Hz. The acoustic influence caused a permanent vibration on the surface of the liquid. The structure of motion changed according to the power of the sound frequency and led to ever new three-dimensional patterns, in which regular and irregular structures, focus and blur interacted.
The structure of motion changed according to the power of the sound frequency and led to ever new three-dimensional patterns, in which regular and irregular structures, focus and blur interacted. While the model has the title 'Milch', Richter calls his work 'Haut'. In both cases the title has an instructive function, however, in the one case it establishes the actual reference, in the other a fictitious one - both appear visually plausible. In both cases the title has an instructive function, however, in the one case it establishes the actual reference, in the other a fictitious one - both appear visually plausible. Processes that did not have a figurative model, and which Richter similarly sees in the work of abstract paintings. In both cases, the picture is charged with representationalism on the basis of formal correspondences. According to Richter, a painting 'must always have this quality. As if it were a photograph of something. As if it were a photograph of something. The way a photo describes what it records. Paintings must do the same.' (Dorothée Brill, Gerhard Richter. Panorama, exhib.cat. Nationalgalerie, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin i.a., Munich 2012, p.247).

NB

Catalogue Raisonné

Butin 127

Provenance

private collection, North Rhine-Westphalia