Anton Wilhelm Tischbein - Portrait of Wilhelm IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, later Prince Elector Wilhelm I - image-1
Anton Wilhelm Tischbein - Portrait of Wilhelm IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, later Prince Elector Wilhelm I - image-2
Anton Wilhelm Tischbein - Portrait of Wilhelm IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, later Prince Elector Wilhelm I - image-1Anton Wilhelm Tischbein - Portrait of Wilhelm IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, later Prince Elector Wilhelm I - image-2

Lot 2121 Dα

Anton Wilhelm Tischbein - Portrait of Wilhelm IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, later Prince Elector Wilhelm I

Auction 1153 - overview Cologne
30.05.2020, 11:00 - Fine Art
Estimate: 18.000 € - 22.000 €
Result: 31.250 € (incl. premium)

Anton Wilhelm Tischbein

Portrait of Wilhelm IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, later Prince Elector Wilhelm I

Oil on canvas (relined). 154 x 111 cm.

This knee-length portrait depicts the later Landgrave Wilhelm IX of Hesse-Kassel (1743-1821), who became regent of the county of Hanau-Münzenberg in 1764, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel in 1785, and Prince Elector Wilhelm I of Hesse-Kassel in 1803. The Hessian regent wears the uniform of the first battalion of the “Erbprinz” infantry regiment of Hesse-Hanau. On his chest he wears the Hessian military order “ Pour la vertu militaire”, which he was awarded by Landgrave Friedrich II in 1769. He also wears the Danish Order of the Elephant on a blue ribbon around his neck, which he received upon his marriage to Wilhelmine Karoline of Denmark in 1764.

Anton Wilhelm Tischbein became court painter to Wilhelm IX in Hanau in 1769. He was made a member and teacher at the Hanau drawing academy in 1772. This work can be attributed to the artist due to its similarity to a half-length depiction of the Hanau Regent in the Historisches Museum Hanau dated to 1770. The present work was presumably painted at around the same time as the portrait of the hereditary prince as a general (Museum Schloss Fasanerie) which was painted on occasion of his services in the Prussian army against Austria during the Bavarian War of Succession.

Provenance

Collection of Countess Caroline of Hessenstein (1767-1847), mistress of the sitter, Wilhelm IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel. - Collection of her daughter Countess Friedrike Auguste of Hessenstein (1795-1855) and her husband Wilhelm von Steuber. - Collection of their daughter Angelika von Steuber (1828-1866) and her husband Friedrich Arnold of Amelunxen. - Subsequently by descent in German aristocratic ownership.