Josse Goossens - Portrait of a Child (Study for the Fresco "Let the Little Children Come to Me") - image-1

Lot 1918 Dα

Josse Goossens - Portrait of a Child (Study for the Fresco "Let the Little Children Come to Me")

Auction 1209 - overview Cologne
19.11.2022, 15:00 - Paintings 14th-19th Centuries Part II
Estimate: 1.000 € - 2.000 €
Result: 1.260 € (incl. premium)

Josse Goossens

Portrait of a Child (Study for the Fresco "Let the Little Children Come to Me")

Oil on paper. 28 x 24 cm.
Framed under glass.
Signed lower right: Josse Goossens.

Inscribed in the lower margin: "Studie zu einem Wandbild in der Aula des Königl. Gymnasium zu Moers / N.Rh. / (Lasset die Kindlein zu mir kommen-)".
The large fresco in the assembly hall of the grammar school at Moers, for which our portrait of a child looking up is a study, was completed by Josse Goossens in 1902 at the age of 26 after he had won the competition for this decorative commission. While Goossens was initially committed to the academic style of the Düsseldorf School of painting, he later turned to more modern plein air style with a brighter, luminous colour palette.
Erich Kukies, Alsdorf, will include the work under no. 162 in the supplementary volume of his catalogue raisonné on the artist, which is currently in preparation.
Georg Roebling, Brussels, will include the work in his online catalogue raisonné on the artist.

Provenance

Galerie Paffrath, Düsseldorf. - Private collection, Saarland.