Lot 198 Dα

Ernst Barlach - Ruhe auf der Flucht I

Auction 1224 - overview Cologne
07.06.2023, 11:00 - Day Sale - Modern Art
Estimate: 10.000 € - 12.000 €
Result: 12.600 € (incl. premium)

Ernst Barlach

Ruhe auf der Flucht I

Bronze. Height 18.9 cm. Signed 'E. Barlach' on lower right side and foundry mark "H. NOACK BERLIN" on the reverse lower left. One of a total of 20 unnumbered casts made since 1963. - Dark brown patina with partial greenish oxydation.

Barlach’s sculptural oeuvre is characterised by the central significance of drapery: he constructs the figure by way of the drapery’s form. A moving emotionality can also be visualised in this way. This aspect has shaped the 1921 work “Ruhe auf der Flucht I” to an exceptional degree. The Biblical theme is realised through Joseph’s protectively spreading a broad piece of cloth over the seated Madonna and Child. The cloth and Joseph’s swaying robes enclose the two within a projecting movement and give visual form to the distressing situation of their expulsion.

Catalogue Raisonné

Laur 340; Schult I 265 (plaster)

Provenance

Former private collection, North Rhine-Westphalia, since then in family possession

Literature

Anita Beloubek-Hammer, Ernst Barlach und die Avantgarde, in: Ernst Barlach, Artist of the North, exhib. cat. Kunsthalle Rostock 1998, p. 30 f.