Konrad Klapheck - Der Boxring I - image-1
Konrad Klapheck - Der Boxring I - image-2
Konrad Klapheck - Der Boxring I - image-1Konrad Klapheck - Der Boxring I - image-2

Lot 67 D

Konrad Klapheck - Der Boxring I

Auction 1233 - overview Cologne
01.12.2023, 18:00 - Evening Sale - Modern and Contemporary Art
Estimate: 50.000 € - 70.000 €
Result: 75.600 € (incl. premium)

Konrad Klapheck

Der Boxring I

Acrylic on canvas. 153.5 x 122 cm. Framed. Signed 'Klapheck'.

The figurative aesthetic of Konrad Klapheck’s paintings is based on memories and events from the past that reveal his interest in psychologically dense experiences. His hyper-realistic depiction of inanimate everyday objects is characterised by smooth surfaces, precise line control and subtle accents of light. Object painting, which Klapheck pursued in contrast to the Informel that was predominant at the time, increasingly gave way to figurative compositions in the years from 2000 onwards. In these series, he often showed the subjects elevated on ‘stages,’ gazing out of window frames, or integrated them in a domestic context. In this painting from 2000, Konrad Klapheck depicted a scene in a boxing ring that captivates with an interesting composition. The austere perspective is counteracted by four downlights in the background. Both the ropes and the scantily clad number girl distract the viewer’s gaze from the actual fighter and his team. Her gaze is directed into the distance, almost rigid.

Provenance

Galerie Lelong, Paris (adhesive label verso); private collection, Spain

Literature

Arturo Schwarz, Klapheck, Milan 2002, p.179 with col.ill.

Exhibitions

Dusseldorf 2013 (Museum Kunstpalast), Klapheck, Bilder und Texte, exhib.cat., p.78 with col.ill.