Ewald Mataré - Liegende Kuh - image-1

Lot 460 D

Ewald Mataré - Liegende Kuh

Auction 1023 - overview Cologne
26.11.2013, 18:00 - Modern Art
Estimate: 12.000 € - 15.000 €

Bronze. Height 5.1 cm. Width 12.8 cm. Depth 6.3 cm. Signed 'MATARÉ' with stamp mark on the rear part of the belly. Additionally with signature 'MATARÉ' and foundry mark "NOACK BERLIN". Only a few casts, for example in the Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam. - Dark brown, in parts anthracite-coloured patina.

Schilling 272 a

Mataré applied a conscious process of abstraction to this “Recumbent Cow”. The compact shape of this resting animal is full of energy, created by its condensed, simplified geometric elements and a focus on essentials. In 1942 and 1943, Mataré created the “Triangular Cows” at Eberbach Abbey in the Rheingau region, some in wood and some in bronze (see Schilling 214-217 and 233). The two dominant geometric shapes in all these works were triangles and trapezoids. In June 1942, Mataré made the following entry in his diary: “It is becoming increasingly obvious to me that, to create pure harmony, the outer shape of the animal must match its internal distribution. I clearly understand that neither the shape of the animal as such nor indeed the preformed block shape can serve as a starting point. The ideal way must be between those two. What is going on in all of us these days is a struggle between the far-too-subjective and the far-too-objective. This struggle imposes on me - as someone who works with sculptural shapes - a struggle between the subjective shape of the animal and its objective dependence on a given dimension.” (Sonja Mataré and Sabine Maja Schilling [eds.], Ewald Mataré, Tagebücher 1915 bis 1965, Cologne 1997, pp. 265 f).

Catalogue Raisonné

272a Schilling

Provenance

Private collection, Rhineland

Exhibitions

cf. Bremen 2005 (Gerhard Marcks-Haus), Konzentration und Offenheit. Ewald Mataré und Joseph Beuys, cat. no. 15, pl. 3 c, p. 10; Düsseldorf 2005 (Akademie Galerie), Ewald Mataré. Eine Werkübersicht, cat. no. 56 with illus.; Kleve 2010 (Kurhaus Kleve), Ewald Mataré. Plastik, Eine rheinische Privatsammlung, cat. no. 27 with full-page colour-illus., pp. 78 f., pp. 140 f.