Michiel van Mierevelt - Portrait of Duke Heinrich Casimir I of Nassau-Dietz - image-1

Lot 1038 Dα

Michiel van Mierevelt - Portrait of Duke Heinrich Casimir I of Nassau-Dietz

Auction 1076 - overview Cologne
19.11.2016, 11:00 - Old Master Paintings and Drawings, Sculpture
Estimate: 18.000 € - 25.000 €
Result: 22.320 € (incl. premium)

Michiel van Mierevelt

Portrait of Duke Heinrich Casimir I of Nassau-Dietz

Oil on panel. 70.5 x 58.5 cm.
Signed and dated centre left: Ao 1637/Miereveld.

This work, dated 1637 and painted by Michiel van Miereveldt, depicts Hendrik Casimir I of Nassau-Dietz as Stadtholder of Friesland, Groningen and Drenthe. The title of Stadtholder and the title of Count of Nassau-Dietz were inherited from his father Ernst Casimir I in 1632. The chain partially concealed by the orange sash alludes to the title of Landkomtur of the province (balie) of Utrecht of the Teutonic Order, which Heinrich Casimir had held since he was eight years old. Hendrik Casimir was wounded during the failed siege of Hulst on 4th July 1640 and died as a result of his injuries a few days later aged just 38.
As court painter to the Stadtholder Moritz of Orange, Michiel van Miereveldt strongly influenced state portraiture and the iconography of the house of Orange in the northern Netherlands in the early 17th century. This depiction of Hendrik Casimir I follows the chest-length style of portrait used by Miereveldt for princes, generals, politicians and patricians, but also for other noted personalities such as Hugo Grotius and Jacob Cats.