Blinky Palermo - Untitled (Entwurf für eine Stoffverspannung) - image-1

Lot 518 D

Blinky Palermo - Untitled (Entwurf für eine Stoffverspannung)

Auction 1091 - overview Cologne
01.06.2017, 14:00 - Contemporary Art
Estimate: 18.000 € - 22.000 €
Result: 29.760 € (incl. premium)

Blinky Palermo

Untitled (Entwurf für eine Stoffverspannung)

Watercolour and biro on perforated and folded graph paper. 42 x 29.8 cm. Multiline handwritten text and signature 'Palermo'. - Traces of studio and minor traces of age.

In 1969, the concept and action artist Helmut Schweizer asked Blinky Palermo to take part in the design of an exhibition space for the artists' association PUYK in Karlsruhe. The ''artistic communication centre'' would offer an opportunity for the ''presentation and popularisation'' of young German artists. Blinky Palermo's answer took the form of the present design of a blue stretched cloth, laid on the given dimensions of the space in Karlsruhe.
Helmut Schweizer was thrilled by Palermo's concept and saw in it the further development of his yellow stretched cloth which had been part of the 1969 exhibition ''2 Räume (Tuchverspannung und Wandzeichnungen)'' in the Gallery Ernst in Hannover.
In reaction to the PUYK project, Blinky Palermo commented in this letter to Helmut Schweizer: ''I think the initiative is good and would like also very much to make a space like that on the drawing (or similar). Unfortunately, however, for time and financial reasons, it is no longer possible for me this year. I would however be grateful if you could send me the invitations of your events and maybe we could do something early next year. Hoping to hear from you.'' As the PUYK group dissolved in that same year, the project was not realised.

Provenance

Helmut Schweizer collection, Dusseldorf

Literature

Barbara Hofmann-Johnson (ed.), Helmut Schweizer, Laboratorium 1969-2010, exhib.cat. Städtische Galerie Wolfsburg, Cologne 2011, p.111 with colour illus.

Exhibitions

Dusseldorf 2014 (Sies + Höke), Happier than the Morning Sun