Lot 447a D

Ewald Mataré - Zeichen einer Kuh II

Auction 1099 - overview Cologne
01.12.2017, 18:00 - Modern Art
Estimate: 18.000 € - 20.000 €
Result: 21.080 € (incl. premium)

Ewald Mataré

Zeichen einer Kuh II

Bronze sculpture Height 4 cm Monogrammed stamp mark 'MATARÉ on the underside. Lifetime cast. - Fine gold-coloured patina.

“I am working on small wooden cows in the studio because I feel I have to bring one of these into a rhythm at least once. Sketching the entire animal in one go on my search, like a letter or a stamp that says: 'this is supposed to be a cow.' Not: this is what it looks like, but this is what it is like!” (Ewald Mataré, Tagebücher 1915 bis 1965, ed. by Sonja Mataré & Sabine Maja Schilling, Cologne 1997, p. 336). “Zeichen einer Kuh II” was presumably modelled after the wooden sculpture described in Mataré's diary entry from 10 April, 1946. It is a sensitive synthesis of geometrically abstracted basic form and delicate ornament - and an exceptional example of Ewald Mataré's extraordinary ability to seek the idea and primal form within the abstraction of beings and things.

Catalogue Raisonné

Schilling 294

Certificate

We would like to thank Sonja Mataré, Meerbusch, for freindly additional information (cast by Rennefeld, enchased by the artist).

Provenance

Estate Léon Degand, Paris

Literature

Hanns Theodor Flemming, Ewald Mataré, München 1955, p. 26, no. 21 b with illus.

Exhibitions

Amsterdam/Enschede 1964 (Stedelijk Museum/Rijksmuseum), Mataré, cat. no. 64; Dusseldorf 1967 (Städtische Kunsthalle), Ewald Mataré. Plastiken, Kunsthandwerk, Handzeichnungen, Aquarelle, Graphik, cat. no. 51 with illus. 25