Jean I. Pénicaud, attributed to - A pax with the Lamentation attributed to Jean I. Pénicaud - image-1
Jean I. Pénicaud, attributed to - A pax with the Lamentation attributed to Jean I. Pénicaud - image-2
Jean I. Pénicaud, attributed to - A pax with the Lamentation attributed to Jean I. Pénicaud - image-1Jean I. Pénicaud, attributed to - A pax with the Lamentation attributed to Jean I. Pénicaud - image-2

Lot 2122 Dα

Jean I. Pénicaud, attributed to - A pax with the Lamentation attributed to Jean I. Pénicaud

Auction 1160 - overview Cologne
14.11.2020, 11:00 - Old Masters
Estimate: 30.000 € - 40.000 €
Result: 37.500 € (incl. premium)

Jean I. Pénicaud, attributed to

A pax with the Lamentation attributed to Jean I. Pénicaud

Cast copper with engraved, gilt and enamelled decor. With its curved handle on the reverse and detailed architectural frame in late Gothic style, this pax still retains its original mountings. The central enamel panel depicts the devotional image of the Pietá, or mourning Virgin, holding the body of Her dead Son in Her lap. Behind Her is a depiction of the Cross and She is flanked by Saints Francis and Augustine. The attribution of this finely rendered work to the enamellist Jean I. Pénicaud in Limoges is derived from the catalogue of the Schnitzler collection (op. cit.).
In good overall condition with only minimal dents and abrasion. Height 20.5 cm, width 12.5 cm.

Provenance

The Goldschmidt collection, Paris. - Collection of Dr. Richard von Schnitzler (1855-1938), Cologne. - By descent in family ownership until the present day.

Literature

Otto H. Förster: Die Sammlung Dr. Richard von Schnitzler, Munich 1931, cat. no. 187, pl. LXXXII.

Exhibitions

Deutscher Werkbund, Cologne 1914. - Kölnischer Kunstverein, 1927, no. 179.