German early 15th century
An early 15th century German pax with the Crucifixion
Cast copper with engraved and gilt decor. The figures of Christ, the Virgin and Saint John are attached to the front of a pax panel within a separately cast frame with an engraved tendril motif. The engraved depiction on the panel shows the cross with the INRI plaque and two shields with the instruments of the passion surrounded by stylised tendrils. In the catalogue of the Schnitzler collection (op. cit.), the piece is listed as central German and an origin in the Main region or Thuringia is suggested.
With minor dents and wear. The handle on the reverse lost. With two drilled holes to the upper centre. Height 13.5 cm, width 10.2 cm.
Collection of Dr. Richard von Schnitzler (1855-1938), Cologne. - By descent in family ownership until the present day.
Otto H. Förster: Die Sammlung Dr. Richard von Schnitzler, Munich 1931, cat. no. 181, pl. LXXX.