Helmut Middendorf - In red night - image-1
Helmut Middendorf - In red night - image-2
Helmut Middendorf - In red night - image-1Helmut Middendorf - In red night - image-2

Lot 71 D

Helmut Middendorf - In red night

Auction 1177 - overview Cologne
17.06.2021, 18:00 - Modern/Contemporary Art - Evening Sale
Estimate: 20.000 € - 30.000 €
Result: 90.000 € (incl. premium)

Helmut Middendorf

In red night

Dispersion and oil on muslin. 220 x 180 cm. Framed. Signed, dated and titled '1981 Middendorf "In red night"' on muslin verso. - Minor traces of age.

In an interview with Helmut Middendorf, Walter Grasskamp asked about his choice of colour and his preference for ultramarine, which the artist explained as follows:
“For me, it was only positively loaded; I always thought Yves Klein was great and in the course of painting a picture, particular palettes become crystallised for every painter, certain colours that you prefer to use because you believe that is the best way to realise your ideas. When I found the colour, it was incredibly difficult to paint with. For the moment you take the colour pure, as Yves Klein did, it is difficult to paint with, without it falling off the picture. In relation to distemper and the pigment, I then noticed that it works with the distemper - that's when I got to grips with it […] When you see this amazingly intensive ultramarine blue in original, it takes on something so succumbing, such a fascination where you peer into it, that you find yourself being drawn into the picture, more than with any other colour.” (Helmut Middendorf, quoted from: Walter Grasskamp im Interview mit Helmut Middendorf, in: Kerber Verlag (ed.), Helmut Middendorf, Berlin, Die 80er und frühe Bilder, Bielefeld 2015, p. 20)

Provenance

Galerie Albert Baronian Gallery, Brussels (adhesive label verso); Galerie Lucien Bilinelli, Brussels (stamp verso); private collection, Belgium